WHAT ITEMS DO YOU APPRAISE?
Shawne is a Fine Art specialist and appraises Canadian, American, European and other International fine art and antiques. There are some items she does not appraise but will connect you with a specialist who can. Please contact me for more information.
WHAT DO I LOOK FOR IN AN APPRAISER?
The Personal Property appraisal industry is unregulated; a Personal Property appraiser does not require a license to practice. It is therefore crucial to find an appraiser who:
- Has Accreditation/Certification with a recognized, professional appraisal organization such as the International Society of Appraisers, the American Society of Appraisers or the Appraisers Association of America
- Has a formal education, background in or experience with the type of property for which you require an appraisal
- Has an understanding of the correct market for your property and the ability to apply the widely accepted standards of valuation
- Adheres to Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) standards
- Adheres to a Code of Ethics and/or Professional Conduct and the Report Writing Conventions of the appraisal organization to which they belong
- Has a fee structure based on a system OTHER THAN a percentage of the end appraised value; most appraisers charge per hour, per diem or a flat rate for the project.
MacIntyre Appraisals does not engage in the buying or selling of personal property and can therefore assure you a valuation free from bias and conflict-of-interest.
WHAT DOES THE PROCESS ENTAIL?
First, contact me to discuss your appraisal requirements. An appointment will be scheduled and the property to be appraised will be inspected, photographed and detailed notes recorded. It is helpful if old receipts, past appraisals or any documentation related to the history or market history of the piece are made available for reference.
Research, appraisal and document production are then conducted and your report can be mailed to you in hard-copy or sent to you electronically.
It is much preferred to personally examine the property to be appraised. If this is not possible, please contact me to determine the best way to proceed.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
The length of time required for the appraisal is determined by the number of items you have and the nature of the appraisal requested. Shawne will endeavour to have your completed appraisal document to you in as timely a manner as possible.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
Professional fees are competitive and charged on an hourly basis (minimum charge applies). Shawne can provide a quote upon speaking with you about your appraisal requirements.